|Strait & Lamp Lumber
269 National S E
Hebron, OH 43025
Store Hours for both locations:
Monday-Friday 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday 7:30 AM - 12:00 PM
|5th Avenue Lumber
479 E 5th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43201
Wilbur C. Strait Sr. and Arnold W. Lamp started Strait & Lamp Lumber Co. in 1950, at the present location at 269 National Rd. SE, Hebron, Ohio. Their primary market focus was to provide lumber and related materials to builders in Columbus and the surrounding counties. Following the death of Mr. Strait in 1959, Mr. Lamp became the sole owner. In 1976 A. Lamp retired and sold the company to Wilbur Strait Jr.
From 1976 through today, Strait & Lamp made a number of changes to aggressively strengthen its position in the marketplace. In 1977 Strait & Lamp became a member of the national buying group, Hardware Wholesales Inc.; known today as Do It Best. This move proved to be instrumental in the growth of Strait & Lamp through their numerous and varied hardware and building materials programs, as well as their lumber and millwork departments.
In 1986 Strait & Lamp purchased the Fifth Avenue Lumber Co., and Linworth Lumber Co. With the purchase of Fifth Ave. came Lumbercraft, a division furnishing trusses, prefabricated stair systems and prefabricated wall panels. With the acquisition of Dublin Millwork, Inc. in 1990, all of the pieces were in place to meet the needs of the central Ohio builder.
In 1995 we started Strait & Lamp Contracting to provide framed lumber packages as the supply for skilled labor became a problem for some of our customers. Today the installed sales program has expanded to include not only framing, but roofing, exterior and interior trims, insulation, and window and exterior door installation services.
The growth of The Strait & Lamp Group hasn’t been without some setbacks. In 1992 fire destroyed Lumbercraft’s truss plant just off of Fifth Avenue. However, the facility was rebuilt in Canal Winchester on a much larger site, allowing for a more efficient production operation with the opportunity for growth. The original site of Lumbercraft was converted to a yard specializing in engineered wood products.
In 1997 we completed the expansion of our Lumbercraft facility to more than double our production of roof and floor trusses. We continue to update the facility with state-of-the-art technology and equipment to provide for the quality standards and efficiency our customers have come to expect from us.
The 2009 acquisition of an 18 acre facility with integrated component manufacturing in Mason, Ohio is the next step in what proves to be a bright future for The Strait & Lamp Group of companies.
We at The Strait & Lamp Group are proud of who we are and our role as a leading supplier to the building industry. From our humble beginnings to the present, the focus of The Strait & Lamp Group has always been to service the needs of the central Ohio building community. We strive in every endeavor to increase our efficiency and pass the savings on to our customers. We are proud to be affiliated with The National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and their local chapters in Franklin, Licking and surrounding counties. In fact, we have been members since 1952 and a major contributor to the Building Industry Association’s (BIA) Foundation House (a parade home with the proceeds benefiting Nationwide Children’s Hospital). We will always endeavor to be the best supplier possible and to partner with our builder customers in the pursuit of their goals; because we are keenly aware that our success depends on your success.